Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Music Review: Meth, Ghost, Rae – "Wu Massacre"


original story posted march 30, 2010
Riding on the train established through the features on Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. 2, Method Man, Raekwon and Ghostface Killah have always been the most prominent figures within the Wu Tang camp.  

Since the beginning stages of the Clan, these three have essentially stood beyond most of their other members, maybe outside of GZA. 

With the train wreck that came from 8 Diagrams, there has been a void in regards to the future of the W, but these three rappers are willing to carry the flag high with their collaborative effort Wu Massacre.

From the jump, the rappers look to rekindle the magic from their rookie years with
“Criminology 2.5” and “Meth VS. Chef Pt. 2”.  While being solid tracks, they fail to hold a candle to their predecessors and pulling Raekwon out of the roster for the sequel to “Criminology” just doesn’t make sense.  Why take a rapper off a song that was initially created on his album?

Perceived as the older generation, the three have far from lost their steps and Method Man utilizes “It’s That Wu S**t” to verbally assault those that only consider him to be a rapper past his prime.

"Yo, I spit lines from the rubber room/ Bottom line, I kick mine like a mother’s womb/ I’m still in my prime, f**k them other dudes/ No biting’s the rule, but we can eat each other’s food/ Flash a camera at the all-time great/ Single handed increase New York’s crime rate."

With limited time, Raekwon takes time to Chef up a lyrical barrage and completely delivers on songs such as “Dangerous” when he drops gutter raps like these:

"This is crime station/ my obligation is to look raw as ever, feed my little sons and basians/ Cause they hungry, shinin/ Bullet fly right through the linin."

Maintaining that gutter Wu sound from the old days, the three are able to weave lyrics effortlessly, but sometimes the features bring down a track with some corny lines.

“I got my ghostface on cause I’m a killa/ I live the street life, why, cause I’m that n**ga/ Label me the beast, call me U-Godzilla.”

While the attempt is notes, Street Life could have presented lines that don’t come off so elementary.
A true gem from the project comes from none other than Ghostface Killah as he makes the decision to fly solo on the joint “Pimpin’ Chipp” as he weaves a tale of a fallen pimp and his “employee” that tried to stay loyal.

The other day I brought a little gat, where I keep by my lower back/ Cause these n**gas don’t know how to act/ At the Apollo/ Ray Charles told  me “B**tches get in the car cause I want you to swallow/ I jumped in and his bodyguards followed/ He was quick, I spit the nut on his ’74 Rottles/ He wanted to invite me to Chicago/ I said “No Daddy”, he pushed me out and lit up a Marlboro.

As the final song of the album, there is much more to be wanted from the project.  Clocking in around 30 minutes, it feels as though the sentiments of Method Man might have been correct when he made the statement that Def Jam placed a rush on the project.  While the three were able to make very good use of their shortened time, the sky is the limit to what would have happened had the label been on their side.

Only 12 tracks with 2 skits included?  Really Def Jam?  Luckily there are no filler songs and all 10 are guaranteed to keep fans nodding their heads.

The trio truly shines when they appear together and it’s apparent that bulls**t and politics had a hand in the process as Raekown is only featured on four of the tracks [5 if you have the original “Criminology 2.5].
Instead of an album, most should really consider this to be an EP or like a mixtape, with no faults to the members, but it is still a solid addition for the rap sheet of the Wu Tang Clan. 

3 out of 5                                                                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment